More and more manufacturers are switching from manual to CNC grinders. With better lead time and productivity, hands-off programming, higher accuracy and tighter tolerances, automated CNC grinding is quickly becoming a no-brainer for production efficiency.
WHAT IS CNC GRINDING?
Numerical control (NC) is the automation of machine tools operated by precisely programmed commands encoded on a storage medium. This is in opposition to manual control via hand wheels or levers, or mechanical automation via computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) programs.
Most NC today is computer numerical control (CNC), which simply means that computers play an integral role in controlling the systems.
WHY DOES YOUR INDUSTRY LOVE CNC GRINDING?
1. When properly set up in the proper environment, you get a variety of options for your profile.
- Proper setup:
- Bearings and housings are removed.
- Bearings seat is ground round and concentric to the roll face.
- Proper environment:
- Temperature is controlled.
- Foundation is isolated.
- 3D grinds are crucial for rolls that fit the following scenarios:
- Running at over 285 degrees F
- Used for making critical products, which may have minimal caliper variation
- Used for products that need outstanding surface uniformity